cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many devices can Dirigera handle in a smooth way?

Erik
Contributor

How many devices can Dirigera handle in a smooth way

A couple of questions:
1. Are there some kind of limit how many devices that Dirigera can control? I guess that it is not easy to specify a specific number of devices. But if someone could come up with a number that they have tried and think is possible to use - it should be nice. I cannot find any information what so ever about this.

2. If Dirigera can handle e.g. 50 devices as a maximum. Is it then possible to install more than one Dirigera and connect both to the same Wi-Fi and control both from the same app?

Or different/multiple apps...I guess that different/multiple apps not is a good choice 🙂

1 BEST ANSWER

Heiko
Contributor

Hi @Erik,

I had about 100 devices on the old Tradfri Gateway when it became difficult to add new ones, that's why I was desperately waiting for Dirigera...

Now I have 36 Lights (bulbs and LED drivers), 23 outlets, 3 roller blinds, 42 remote controls and 7 motion sensors, i.e. totally 111 devices connected with the Dirigera and it doesn't seem to touch any limit.

BTW: my old Tradfri GW is currently still running for exactly one motion sensor, that triggers Alexa to play a dorbell sound when someone enters my flat. The new Home-smart-Alexa-skill obviously doesn't support motion sensor events yet. Tradfri-GW and Dirigera can be run in parallel...

best regards, Heiko (Germany)

View answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Leanne

Hi @Erik, Welcome to the community. It is currently not possible to have multiple hubs connected to the same app. With that said, although there is no official limit, the hub has a lot of memory space. It should be able to manage at least 100 devices. I hope this helps.

Tack

Leanne

Found your solution? Simply click on 'Accept as solution' to help others with similar questions!

Heiko
Contributor

Hi @Erik,

I had about 100 devices on the old Tradfri Gateway when it became difficult to add new ones, that's why I was desperately waiting for Dirigera...

Now I have 36 Lights (bulbs and LED drivers), 23 outlets, 3 roller blinds, 42 remote controls and 7 motion sensors, i.e. totally 111 devices connected with the Dirigera and it doesn't seem to touch any limit.

BTW: my old Tradfri GW is currently still running for exactly one motion sensor, that triggers Alexa to play a dorbell sound when someone enters my flat. The new Home-smart-Alexa-skill obviously doesn't support motion sensor events yet. Tradfri-GW and Dirigera can be run in parallel...

best regards, Heiko (Germany)

Hello  @Heiko ,

Very interesting to hear about your experience of Dirigera.
Nice to hear what types and how many devices that you have used.
It is no problem with more than 100 units that is obvious!

But what do you say about distances? Is it important to keep distances short between different things in the system?

It can be annoying if there is a delay in the system.
Do long distances result in delays, when the Zigbee signal needs to relay between several units to reach the unit in the far end?

I think it is very annoying if you have a remote and the lights don't turn on immediately when you press the button on the remote control.

To get an understanding of your system: how big is your apartment and how long is it between the devices that are far out in the network?

Hi @Erik,

it's a flat under a gable roof on 2 floors. The ground size of the lower floor is about 16*12 m and the upper floor has about 16*6 m. The roof is spanning from south to north (16 m) and the Dirigera is placed on the very south end of the upper floor, so really peripheral.

In the garden on the north side, there's a small stable, where I have an outlet, which supplies the pump of the garden pond and this is the uttermost unit. It's about 25-30 m away from the hub.

Realistically the distances between the devices in my setup are not more than 3-5 m, except this garden outlet, which is about 8-10 m away from the next bulb behind the window on the north side. So even such distances are safe.

I'm not an expert for Zigbee or such technologies, just equipped my flat with that stuff, just hoping that it's designed to be quick and efficient and it always worked well for me. 🙂

regards, Heiko

Erik
Contributor

@Heiko ,

It seems that you have a quite big flat with several large areas that over several floors.

It sounds amazing that Ikea Dirigera can handle the whole are.
You did not mentioned if you had any trouble with deleays.
Do you notice any delays when you push a remote until the lights are switched on/shanged intensity level?

It seems that you have a quite big flat with several large areas that even spans over several floors.
It sounds amazing that Ikea Dirigera can handle the whole area.

You did not mention if you had any trouble with delays.
Do you notice any delays?
Or do the lights intensity update imedeately?

Thanks for your feedback!

Best, Erik

Heiko
Contributor

Hi @Erik,

well, there's always a very small delay, it takes about 0.1 to 0.25 seconds (estimated) until lamps react on changes when using a control, BUT it doesn't matter if I do that in my office room (where the Dirigera is placed) or on the other end of the house, there's no noticable difference. Controlling lamps with the app seems to be quicker though.

Side note: if you have a stand allone switch and bulb pair, i.e. without a hub in the middle, you may have also such small delays, this may be caused by the LED technology of the bulbs, or whatever...

After all, it's never comparable with those traditional light switches in the wall, we all are used to a life long, which just close an electric circuit and the light turns on before you hear the switch clicking...

Conclusion: an area-wide network of devices makes it stable and responsible enough for my personal use, even though the hub is positioned very peripheral. It may be possible, that comparable products of other manufacturers are better/quicker/brighter - whatever - for me it's working and in terms of pricing probably the most affordable solution in the market.

regards, Heiko