cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trådfri hub software

Sebrichter
Contributor

It’s my understanding that thread and matter support can be delivered via software updates. Is that not true for your Trådfri hub and will I have to purchase a new Dirigera hub?

1 BEST ANSWER

OveFromSweden
Super Helper

Theoretically software updates are correct yes, however the TRÅDFRI gateway started selling in like 2014/2015. The hardware will very likely not able to handle such an update and process is it to the amount would be ok to use.

To be fair, it is surprising that an electronic device like the gateway managed to stay up to date for about 8 years compared to e.g. the lifecycle of smartphones.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

OveFromSweden
Super Helper

Theoretically software updates are correct yes, however the TRÅDFRI gateway started selling in like 2014/2015. The hardware will very likely not able to handle such an update and process is it to the amount would be ok to use.

To be fair, it is surprising that an electronic device like the gateway managed to stay up to date for about 8 years compared to e.g. the lifecycle of smartphones.

Hi Ove. 

i do accept that. But you have to remember that some customer may have bought it as recently as 2 months ago (unaware it is “8 years old”) and it’s ultimately IKEA who decided to keep 8 year old hardware on sale for so long without updating it along with the times. I will say, IKEA should at least have an amnesty for customer that bought a hub within their 365 refund policy and allow them to update by paying just the difference. Just my personal opinion. 

Yeah, fair enough, I understand that.

When I bought it I had not expectations on the duration or future compatibility -  i usually had to change devices such as computers, laptops, phones etc after a few years anyway. Sometimes because their (built-in) batteries died, sometimes they became outdated or unusable with performance, some stayed around despite not being the newest model (very rarely though).

For my needs the gateway does perfectly what it should (apart from some hick ups here and there - fingers crossed  😄 🤞, 45+ devices setup 😬)..

I think "matter" might offer great opportunities and that I won't have to switch to other smart devices is a big plus, but as with everything else it comes with a hook: it won't run on a NOKA 3310..  🙃